T-Shirt Quilting One Block at a Time by RaNae Merrill
Technique & Project Class
Learn from National Teacher RaNae Merill
There's something really special about wrapping up in a T-shirt quilt, feeling all those memories surround and comfort you or someone you love. The look on someone's face when they receive the gift of a t-shirt quilt is beyond words. But getting from a bag of old t-shirts to that magical moment can seem like an overwhelming project. And working with stretchy t-shirts can be really challenging.
But that's about to change . . .
In this class you'll learn to make that t-shirt quilt quilting one shirt at a time!
This approach has so many advantages! You can
- Easily quilt one shirt at a time YOURSELF on your domestic machine
- Add embellishments such as applique or decorative stitching
- Enhance the memories of each event by telling its story in the quilting design
- Make smaller quilts or pillows with a few t-shirts, then add more as your t-shirt collection grows.
- No big, heavy, stretchy top to fight with
- No need to send it out for quilting
In this class you'll learn how to:
- Quilt one t-shirt at a time on your domestic or longarm machine
- Add quilting and embellishments that will enhance the memories of a shirt by telling its story
- Speed-quilt by combining piecing and quilting in one step
- Calculate quilt size and yardage needed
- Plan a layout
- Join quilted blocks to build your quilt
- Make a quilted t-shirt pillow / Take the pillow apart to build it into a quilt later
- For quilters who have not done free-motion quilting before, we'll cover FMQ basics a few simple patterns.
During class, you'll prepare and quilt a single block, then make it into a pillow (or save it for later if you wish). Making a pillow is a great way to enjoy your memories now, then later, if you decide to make a whole t-shirt quilt, you can easily take apart the pillow and incorporate the sections into a quilt. What a great way to build a quilt block-by-block AND enjoy it in the meantime!
Materials not included with class purchase. A supply list will be sent out after you register. Class supplies purchased at Cactus Quilt Shop will receive a 10% discount after registration. RaNae's book is not required but strongly recommended. It is available for purchase at Cactus Quilt Shop and qualifies for the class discount when purchased after registering.